Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Anonymous Guest

SEMICOLONS AND COLONS

we are studying Semicolons and Colons ,which sentence is correct:

(a)A number of companies are represented; Dell, imb, Digital, and Exxon.
    (b)A number of companies are represented Dell, IMB, Digital, and Exxon.
    (c)A number of companies are represented: Dell, IMB, Digital, and Exxon.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use the third one (c).

:)

abrilsp Guest
    Hi :)

In sentece c), is it correct to write a comma between "Digital" and "and Exxon"? I would not write it before "and"

Thanks a lot,
    abrilsp

CitySpeak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abrilsp

In sentece c), is it correct to write a comma between "Digital" and "and Exxon"? I would not write it before "and"

Thanks a lot,
    abrilsp

Traditionally a comma has been used between "and" and the last word/item in a list. However, it is now considered optional. I would choose to use or not use the comma depending on who is going to read my writing and whether I think it is really necessary or not in the given sentence.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot,
    abrilsp
    It is definitely correct, and it is recommended. In that sentence you need to emphasize the separateness of each item. It is better to always use the comma rather than to never use the comma. In other words, when in doubt use it.

As CS noted, sometimes comma use before and is optional, as in the following sentence.

• I went to the store to get some apples, oranges, bananas and pears.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    CitySpeak is right. I use the comma generally. In the original example, I'd use a colon as the two parts of the sentence are the same- the names given are the companies referred to in the first part. I use a semi-colon for something like a conclusion and a colon when the two parts are the same.

CitySpeak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

Thanks a lot,
    abrilsp
    It is definitely correct, and it is recommended. In that sentence you need to emphasize the separateness of each item. It is better to always use the comma rather than to never use the comma. In other words, when in doubt use it.

As CS noted, sometimes comma use before and is optional, as in the following sentence.

• I went to the store to get some apples, oranges, bananas and pears.

In other words, when in doubt use it. <<

But we need to be careful about that. In a traditional compound sentence connected by "and" we use a comma before "and". In a compound sentence that does not have a subject in the second clause, we would not use a comma before "and".

example:

Stan went to the post office, and he stopped by his friend's place. - Here, we need a comma, as the second clause has a subject. - 2 independent clauses linked by the conjunction "and"

Stan went to the post office and then stopped by his friend's place. - Here, we don't need a comma before "and" because the second clause does not have a subject. If the subject of the first clause is the same as the subject of the second clause in a compound sentence >such as this<, a subject in the second clause is not required.

an independent clause and a dependent clause linked by the conjunction "and"

CitySpeak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    CitySpeak is right. I use the comma generally. In the original example, I'd use a colon as the two parts of the sentence are the same- the names given are the companies referred to in the first part. I use a semi-colon for something like a conclusion and a colon when the two parts are the same.

Can we get away without using "and" in the first place in sentence c?

Do we need to use "and" in a list that comes after a clause which ends with a colon? I'm speaking specifically of "lists" here, not a clause and a phrase (or word) that hold the same meaning.

Is asyndeton applicable here? Or is that only used for effect or some sort of emphasis?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=asyndeton

Post Thanks / Like
    • Do we need to use "and" in a list that comes after a clause which ends with a colon? I'm speaking specifically of "lists" here, not a clause and a phrase (or word) that hold the same meaning.

Using 'and' to set of the last item in the list denotes something like, "and here's the final item in the list", which works well if you've a large list of items because it warns your sleepy reader to wake up--the end is near. Other than that 'and' is really not all that necessary.

• Is asyndeton applicable here? Or is that only used for effect or some sort of emphasis?

Well, asyndeton refers to clauses; isocolon would best describe a list:

Asyndeton is the omission of conjunctions between clauses (e.g. Veni, vidi, vici (Caesar: "I came; I saw; I conquered"), whereas an isocolon is a series of similarly structured elements having the same length. It's a kind of parallelism, as in Dell, IMB, Digital, Exxon.

Source: The Forest of Rhetoric, silva rhetoricae: rhetorical figures, Brigham Young University.

:D

CitySpeak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    • Do we need to use "and" in a list that comes after a clause which ends with a colon? I'm speaking specifically of "lists" here, not a clause and a phrase (or word) that hold the same meaning.

Using 'and' to set of the last item in the list denotes something like, "and here's the final item in the list", which works well if you've a large list of items because it warns your sleepy reader to wake up--the end is near. Other than that 'and' is really not all that necessary.

• Is asyndeton applicable here? Or is that only used for effect or some sort of emphasis?

Well, asyndeton refers to clauses; isocolon would best describe a list:

Asyndeton is the omission of conjunctions between clauses (e.g. Veni, vidi, vici (Caesar: "I came; I saw; I conquered"), whereas an isocolon is a series of similarly structured elements having the same length. It's a kind of parallelism, as in Dell, IMB, Digital, Exxon.

Source: The Forest of Rhetoric, silva rhetoricae: rhetorical figures, Brigham Young University.

:D
    Using 'and' to set of the last item in the list denotes something like, "and here's the final item in the list", which works well if you've a large list of items because it warns your sleepy reader to wake up--the end is near. Other than that 'and' is really not all that necessary. <<

That is what I thought. Using "and" at the end of a list which is preceded by a colon is not necessary, unless, of course, the list is long and you feel it necessary to let the reader know the end of the list is here - finally.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast