Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    • Do we need to use "and" in a list that comes after a clause which ends with a colon? I'm speaking specifically of "lists" here, not a clause and a phrase (or word) that hold the same meaning.

Using 'and' to set of the last item in the list denotes something like, "and here's the final item in the list", which works well if you've a large list of items because it warns your sleepy reader to wake up--the end is near. Other than that 'and' is really not all that necessary.

• Is asyndeton applicable here? Or is that only used for effect or some sort of emphasis?

Well, asyndeton refers to clauses; isocolon would best describe a list:

Asyndeton is the omission of conjunctions between clauses (e.g. Veni, vidi, vici (Caesar: "I came; I saw; I conquered"), whereas an isocolon is a series of similarly structured elements having the same length. It's a kind of parallelism, as in Dell, IMB, Digital, Exxon.

Source: The Forest of Rhetoric, silva rhetoricae: rhetorical figures, Brigham Young University.

:D
    Well, asyndeton refers to clauses; <<<

I should have figured that one out for myself.

Thanks,

8) :)

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was commenting on the use of commas in a list.

I am not a professional teacher, but I do think it is possible to confuse the learner with too much information, which is worse, I think, than not enough.

I prefer my advice in bite-sized chunks. More than a paragraph or two and I start to get lost.

:wink:

CitySpeak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I was commenting on the use of commas in a list.

I am not a professional teacher, but I do think it is possible to confuse the learner with too much information, which is worse, I think, than not enough.

I prefer my advice in bite-sized chunks. More than a paragraph or two and I start to get lost.

:wink:

I know what you mean.

8) :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12