Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello, I have been looking for an explanation to this phrase (I do not know how to call it) "to surrender at discretion" What does this expression mean? Did I get it correctly? I think that this expression means "to surrender for winner favor or something like that" Thanks and I appreciate your help in advance. If I have made a mistake correct it.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, I have been looking for an explanation to this phrase (I do not know how to call it) "to surrender at discretion" What does this expression mean? Did I get it correctly? I think that this expression means "to surrender for winner favor or something like that" Thanks and I appreciate your help in advance. If I have made a mistake correct it.

It doesn't mean anything to me.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
It doesn't mean anything to me.

My dictionary says that this phrase has a meaning, but meaning is just a little bit misty =) So I have created this topic.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please give us the sentence the dictionary suggests.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
The dictionary doesn't suggest the sentence "phrase - meaning" that's all what I got.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The dictionary doesn't suggest the sentence "phrase - meaning" that's all what I got.

Can you post the exact dictionary entry please.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
"Anglonas" This dictionary translates from English to Lithuanian. I could give you a meaning in Lithuanian, but you won't understand. =))) I took a picture if somebody doesn't believe me that this phrase exists ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not that we don't believe you, but we need to see exactly what the dictionary said to help you understand it. As it is, the phrase is meaningless to us.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Anglonas" This dictionary translates from English to Lithuanian. I could give you a meaning in Lithuanian, but you won't understand. =))) I took a picture if somebody doesn't believe me that this phrase exists ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I've looked at the link. I suspect the dictionary was written by a non-native speaker. I am not familiar at all with "to surrender at discretion". Given that the next line on that page gives "to surrendera (sic) right to smb" which is not just not an English phrase but also contains a typo, I wouldn't trust the definitions and examples in that particular dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.