Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default essay - When in Rome, do as the Romans do

Could I ask you to correct this short essay?
    By the way, I know it's too short and that is why it is also uite weird, but I was told to use only 250 words and I used almost 300 hundred...

WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMANS DO

When in Rome, do as the Romans do – that is an English proverb. However, is this proverb true? Should people act this proverb? I guess the question isn’t too difficult to be answered. You don’t have to “do as Romans do“ if you want to be disallowed and considered a stupid stranger. Of course, some nationalities are very tolerant, but some will just never accept customs and habits of other nations. It is the truth that I have never been to “Far East“ and I have never met any people from these countries, but I believe just these ones are those who are a little orthodox. They behave like this because of their religion. In some countries women aren’t almost considered “real people“ – can’t do anything without asking their husband, have to wear a “sheet“ over their face and so on. If you went to these countries, they the inhabitants would surely recognize you are a little different. You should act their habits especially in these countries. And of course not only in there.
    For example, when you come to the Czech Republic, you should “do as the Czechs do“ at least a little. People will always try to accept you, but if you’ll seem to them to “unczech“, they might not like you. We appreciate all the foreigners who learn at least a few Czech words and phrases such as “Good morning!“ and those who behave at least a little politely and don’t insult our nation. In my opinion, Czechs are very a tolerant nation (we mostly see no problems in other religions worhiped in the world, homosexuality and other much discussed topics of today’s world). We do our best to better understand the other nations.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: essay - When in Rome, do as the Romans do

that is an English proverb- this
    Should people act- follow
    to be disallowed- excluded??
    to “Far East“- the Far East, though this term is not so popular nowadays as it is western in its focus, just use the East, East Asia or Asia-Pacific. Also, you're confusing the Middle East and East Asia.
    should act their habits- follow/respect? maybe use customs instead of habits
    not only in there- delete 'in'
    to them to “unczech“- too 'un-Czech'
    worhiped- worshipped

Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    And of course not only in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    not only in there- delete 'in'
    I was told that in English we can say not only "in here", but also "in there". Is it true? If it is, why did you advise me to delete "in"?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

You can, but that would be a more specific reference than here- you're talking vaguely about non-specific countries, so there's no need and it looks out of place.