• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mature love picks up

What does this "pick up" mean? to improve or to become better?

49)Mom is in the hospital. Itís just for a knee treatment. Nothing huge, or at least thatís how it seems to me. But Dad worries a great deal about the slim chance that something might go wrong. Mom was exactly the same when Dad was in the hospital years ago. When weíre young, we often look at our parentsí relationships and think, How dull! We compare it to adolescent love. As a teen, the feeling of love seemed real to me, but my parentsí love didnít seem so. I confused intensity with sincerity, which takes time. Mature love picks up when romantic love stops, and while very different, itís also better in many ways, getting deeper as the couple go through things in life. Yes, the sun sets, but the moon rises. Romantic love delights in newness; mature love in consistency. Mature love is the payoff for investing in romantic love. My parents are no longer beautiful, though they were in their day. But they are clearly beautiful to each other.

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mature love picks up

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    What does this "pick up" mean? to improve or to become better?

49)Mom is in the hospital. Itís just for a knee treatment. Nothing huge, or at least thatís how it seems to me. But Dad worries a great deal about the slim chance that something might go wrong. Mom was exactly the same when Dad was in the hospital years ago. When weíre young, we often look at our parentsí relationships and think, How dull! We compare it to adolescent love. As a teen, the feeling of love seemed real to me, but my parentsí love didnít seem so. I confused intensity with sincerity, which takes time. Mature love picks up when romantic love stops, and while very different, itís also better in many ways, getting deeper as the couple go through things in life. Yes, the sun sets, but the moon rises. Romantic love delights in newness; mature love in consistency. Mature love is the payoff for investing in romantic love. My parents are no longer beautiful, though they were in their day. But they are clearly beautiful to each other.
    No, it's more like starts or begins. Mature love starts when romantic love ends.