Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "pick up" mean? to improve or to become better?

49)Mom is in the hospital. It’s just for a knee treatment. Nothing huge, or at least that’s how it seems to me. But Dad worries a great deal about the slim chance that something might go wrong. Mom was exactly the same when Dad was in the hospital years ago. When we’re young, we often look at our parents’ relationships and think, How dull! We compare it to adolescent love. As a teen, the feeling of love seemed real to me, but my parents’ love didn’t seem so. I confused intensity with sincerity, which takes time. Mature love picks up when romantic love stops, and while very different, it’s also better in many ways, getting deeper as the couple go through things in life. Yes, the sun sets, but the moon rises. Romantic love delights in newness; mature love in consistency. Mature love is the payoff for investing in romantic love. My parents are no longer beautiful, though they were in their day. But they are clearly beautiful to each other.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does this "pick up" mean? to improve or to become better?

49)Mom is in the hospital. It’s just for a knee treatment. Nothing huge, or at least that’s how it seems to me. But Dad worries a great deal about the slim chance that something might go wrong. Mom was exactly the same when Dad was in the hospital years ago. When we’re young, we often look at our parents’ relationships and think, How dull! We compare it to adolescent love. As a teen, the feeling of love seemed real to me, but my parents’ love didn’t seem so. I confused intensity with sincerity, which takes time. Mature love picks up when romantic love stops, and while very different, it’s also better in many ways, getting deeper as the couple go through things in life. Yes, the sun sets, but the moon rises. Romantic love delights in newness; mature love in consistency. Mature love is the payoff for investing in romantic love. My parents are no longer beautiful, though they were in their day. But they are clearly beautiful to each other.
No, it's more like starts or begins. Mature love starts when romantic love ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.