Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A lot of

  1. ulya's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Azerbaijani
      • Home Country:
      • Azerbaijan
      • Current Location:
      • Azerbaijan

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 5,864
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    A lot of

    Hi.

    I know we use a lot of in all types of sentences .

    For example, We bought a lot of books.

    But I can't understand when we use a lots of ? Please, use in sentence.
    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,893
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: A lot of

    Usually "a lot of something" and "lots of something" have the same meaning, but "lots" is a plural and therefore does not take the article "a".
    We bought lots of books.
    I have made lots of new friends this year.
    Lots of people were there to meet me.

    not a teacher

  2. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,440
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: A lot of

    Quote Originally Posted by ulya View Post
    But I can't understand when we use a lots of?
    Question: Does "a lots of" exist in English? No.



  3. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,440
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: A lot of

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    Usually "a lot of something" and "lots of something" have the same meaning, but "lots" is a plural and therefore does not take the article "a".
    We bought lots of books.
    I have made lots of new friends this year.
    Lots of people were there to meet me.

    not a teacher
    Thank you for your helpful reply. "A lot of" can be followed by either a singular or plural noun. On the other hand, "lots of" only precedes plural noun. Am I right?


  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: A lot of

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    Thank you for your helpful reply. "A lot of" can be followed by either a singular or plural noun. On the other hand, "lots of" only precedes plural noun. Am I right?
    No Both can be followed by singular uncountable and by plural nouns.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 26-Dec-2012 at 08:37.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] a lot of reading or a lot of readings
    By vestcil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2012, 20:29
  2. [Grammar] I saw a lot, learned a lot and felt a lot.
    By rainous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2011, 08:00
  3. a lot of
    By catoidtang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2011, 10:20
  4. we've been through a lot
    By XINLAI-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2008, 04:05
  5. Thanks A Lot!
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2007, 23:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •