Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello, Does anyone have any idea what this expression could mean? "Hop in that thing and merk off" I understood first part "Hop in that thing" what about that phrase "merk off" ? I tried to use dictionaries, but unfortunately they couldn't help me. If I have made a mistake please correct it. Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, Does anyone have any idea what this expression could mean? "Hop in that thing and merk off" I understood first part "Hop in that thing" what about that phrase "merk off" ? I tried to use dictionaries, but unfortunately they couldn't help me. If I have made a mistake please correct it. Thank you.

I've never come across it. Where did you find it?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hip-hop music is a bad bad source for English learners.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hip-hop music is a bad bad source for English learners.
I know, but I love English language more than you can imagine. All my life I spend free time with English I listen to BBC radio, rap, hip-hop, movies, slang etc. It's awesome.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know, but I love English language more than you can imagine. All my life I spend free time with English I listen to BBC radio, rap, hip-hop, movies, slang etc. It's awesome.

It's good that you listen to English all the time, but don't rely on lyrics, especially rap and hip-hop to be examples of good grammatical English.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...don't rely on lyrics, especially rap and hip-hop to be examples of good grammatical English...

...and don't expect us here at Using English to be au fait with ever-changing trends in rap and hip-hop slang.

You'd better bookmark the Urban Dictionary as well as the standard OneLook Dictionary Search.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.