• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The important of writing currency or their symbol in ielts writing....

hello, i want to ask about the currency information in writing ielts section 1, normally the question state the name or the symbol such as (thousand pounds sterling). obviously it in three words and do i need write it again n again everytime i state the amounts? or i just minimise it to (tps) or i just can remind in in first paragraph the the rest passage just numbers?

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The important of writing currency or their symbol in ielts writing....

Only in a context where several sorts of 'pound' are possible (e.g. a bank) do you need to say 'sterling'. Even then, you only need to specify 'sterling' once (the first time you use it).

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The important of writing currency or their symbol in ielts writing....

PS Don't just invent your own abbreviations - 'tps' doesn't mean what you want it to mean. Occasionally, a bank using an old computer that can't handle a "" sign (or more likely their computers can, but the want to be able to communicate with older systems) uses the abbreviation "GBP"; I've never seen that abbreviation used by an ordinary person.

b

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    PS Don't just invent your own abbreviations - 'tps' doesn't mean what you want it to mean. Occasionally, a bank using an old computer that can't handle a "" sign (or more likely their computers can, but the want to be able to communicate with older systems) uses the abbreviation "GBP"; I've never seen that abbreviation used by an ordinary person.

b
    GBP is frequently used on the internet when given a dropdown list of currency choices which can be changed to suit the user. In currency converters, they are also used. "Convert GBP to USD" = "Convert pounds sterling to US dollars".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adydean View Post
    hello, i want to ask about the currency information in writing ielts section 1, normally the question state the name or the symbol such as (thousand pounds sterling). obviously it in three words and do i need write it again n again everytime i state the amounts? or i just minimise it to (tps) or i just can remind in in first paragraph the the rest passage just numbers?
    From reading what you have posted, I would suggest that you be more concerned with using proper English when writing, more than being concerned about other things. Begin a sentence with a capital letter (Hello, not hello), capitalize I (never i), and capitalize IELTS. In addition, I am not at all sure of what "obviously it in three words and do i need..." means. Go back to the basics you learned and apply them.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adydean View Post
    I have marked in red each error of capitalisation, spelling, punctuation or grammar.

You certainly can't change the entire phrase "a thousand pounds sterling" to an abbreviation. The abbreviation only refers to the name of the currency, not the amount. You can write "a thousand pounds sterling" as:

1000 GBP
    One thousand pounds sterling

Whichever one you use first in your writing, stick with it through the piece. Don't change between them.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I admit I was unduly dismissive about GBP. (I dislke it intensely, and let my feelings get the better of me! )

b

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

adydean: Speakers of French (and very probably other languages that I don't know) assume that on the analogy of l'important they can say 'the important'. You can't. It's either 'the importance of...' or 'the important thing about...'

b