Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello
what is the best word? Via or By... for example 'via computer...' or 'by computer...'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends on context so without context and full sentences, it's not possible to tell whether "via computer" would be possible in whatever you're thinking of.

"I go to work by bus", not "I go to work via bus".
"The TV signal reaches your TV via your rooftop aerial" not "... by your rooftop aerial".

adydean

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
can we use via in formal essay? (IELTS). It worry me if the word are not formal because i been used it a lot..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can we use via in formal essays (IELTS)? It worries me if the word [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is not formal because I have been using it a lot.

I would use "by" unless you know that "via" is part of a fixed expression that you are using.

Look at my red marks in your post above. If you are taking a written exam, you need to make sure you are following the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).

Check your tense/person agreements. You had written "It worry me" and it should be "It worries me", and "the word are" which should be "the word is" (or "the words are").

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]c[/STRIKE]Can we use via in a formal essay? (IELTS). It worr[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]ies me if the wordis [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] not formal because [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE]have used it a lot..
You can use via where it is appropriate.

Try following the advice ems gave you. You have made several of the mistakes she warned you about.

Status
Not open for further replies.