Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
I'd be happy if anyone could help me get the point of this expression.

'...I'd better be getting on myelf...people may be wondering where I am!...'

(I'd better go and do what I was supposed to do?!)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'...I'd better be getting on myself...people may be wondering where I am!...'

(I'd better go and do what I was supposed to do?!)
It might mean that, or it might just mean that the speaker had better leave and get back to where he is expected.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Perhaps it's worth pointing out that this expression doesn't normally stand alone, it's usually a response to someone else saying something like, "Well, I have to head off home now", or "I must get back to work". The person being spoken to might then reply, "Yes, I'd better be getting on myself", meaning "I too should be moving along".

not a teacher

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And quite interestingly the point you've made is relevant. In the room two of the people leave saying they have to join the rest outside, and the guy, feeling awkward when he saw himself alone with the girl in the same room, used that sentence.

Thanks a lot for the help.

(And, I have to add that, to my ignorance I hadn't realised this was a relevant context or I would've given that as well. So, I do apologise for that part!)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And quite interestingly the point you've made is relevant. In the room two of the people leave saying they have to join the rest outside, and the guy, feeling awkward when he saw himself alone with the girl in the same room, used that sentence.

Thanks a lot for the help.

(And, I have to add that, to my ignorance I hadn't realised this was a relevant context or I would've given that as well. So, I do apologise for that part!)

That's it! Think of it as 'I myself [as well as other people] must be getting on'. That way you don't fall into the trap (suggested by your use of bold) of thinking of 'getting on myself' as one idea (involving, presumably, a contortionist :))

b

Status
Not open for further replies.