Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Most who try writing with both hands simultaneously end up with an illegible scrawl."

simultaneous /ˌsɪm.əlˈteɪ.ni.əs/ =BrE

simultaneous / sa m l te ni s, s /=AmE

missile / m s l/=AmE

missile /ˈmɪs.aɪl/=BrE

direct /da ɪˈrekt/=BrE

direct /d r kt,da /= AmE

advertisement/ədˈvɜː.tɪs.mənt/=BrE /ˈæd.vɝː.taɪz.mənt/=AmE

Do we have a rule where vowel sound in British version is different from American version when it comes to the pronunciation of the aforementioned words. Besides, I need few words that go with simultaneous, missile, direct and advertisement.

Thank you,

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Do we have a rule where vowel sound in British version is different from American version when it comes to the pronunciation of the aforementioned words.

I'm not aware of any rule that applies in this area. Besides, native speakers don't memorise rules - they know how to pronounce a word without resorting to 'rules'. I recommend that you do the same. Learn the pronunciation of each individual word - it's more difficult at first but it will actually free your brain from doing too much overthinking.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Missile" is certainly pronounced differently in AmE and BrE.

In BrE, it sounds like "miss-eye-ll" (the second syllable sounds like "tile"). In AmE, it's more like "miss-uhl" or "miss-ull" (rhymes with "pull"). I don't read phonetics so I don't know if that's what you put in the first post.

However, as CS said, we don't "memorise rules", we learn pronunciation as we learn to speak when we're children. We hear other pronunciations as we get older. Some people are better at noticing the differences than others.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Do we have a rule where vowel sound in British version is different from American version when it comes to the pronunciation of the aforementioned words. Besides, I need few words that go with simultaneous, missile, direct and advertisement.

Thank you,
There are quite a few '-ile' words that are pronounced differently, similarly to missile - fertile, mobile, tactile, ...
In fact, I'm not sure that Americans pronouns any '-ile' words as /-aIl/

PS: I mean multisyllable words, of course. Obviously AmE doesn't use a schwa in file, mile, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.