• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

Context:

Wounds to spirit and psyche are also addressed by caregivers at HMS, evidenced by the work of child-care experts at the School’s teaching hospitals who guard against the traumas that sickness and hospitalization can bring to their young patients and by the updated use of the ages-old comfort offered the sick by canine companions.
    The HMS community is one characterized by a diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. It is also a community anointed with a diversity of ideas. That richness allows us to push the envelope in areas already considered cutting edge, and it allows us to innovate ways to better address the injuries that have historically prompted people to seek out physicians. The pages of our magazine and the pages of this website tell these stories of progress. I invite you to explore this issue of Harvard Medicine.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

Yes, in this context, canine companions are dogs who are taken into hospitals. Many patients find that they feel better when they are given the opportunity to pet, stroke or otherwise engage with animals.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 28-Dec-2012 at 22:38. Reason: Added emphasis to "in this context"
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Barb_D is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

But I would add that a "canine companion" does not necessarily mean dogs in hospitals or therapy dogs, even though it does in this context. It can just mean a pet dog.

I saw Josh and his fine-looking canine companion at the park yesterday.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 28-Dec-2012 at 22:12.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.