Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

Context:

Wounds to spirit and psyche are also addressed by caregivers at HMS, evidenced by the work of child-care experts at the School’s teaching hospitals who guard against the traumas that sickness and hospitalization can bring to their young patients and by the updated use of the ages-old comfort offered the sick by canine companions.
The HMS community is one characterized by a diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. It is also a community anointed with a diversity of ideas. That richness allows us to push the envelope in areas already considered cutting edge, and it allows us to innovate ways to better address the injuries that have historically prompted people to seek out physicians. The pages of our magazine and the pages of this website tell these stories of progress. I invite you to explore this issue of Harvard Medicine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

Yes, in this context, canine companions are dogs who are taken into hospitals. Many patients find that they feel better when they are given the opportunity to pet, stroke or otherwise engage with animals.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Does "canine companions" mean "dogs serving as compainions (for the patients)"?

But I would add that a "canine companion" does not necessarily mean dogs in hospitals or therapy dogs, even though it does in this context. It can just mean a pet dog.

I saw Josh and his fine-looking canine companion at the park yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.