Complete comprehension but no fluency yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaharZeev

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello ,
I am an ESL student .
I have been learning english for a lot of years now .
When I read a book or watch a tv show i understand almost 100% of the material .
But When it comes to talking I still don't have the ability to talk freely about everything , and I am always stuck searching for words .... what can i do about it ? again when i read or listen i understand almost everything .

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello ,
I am an ESL student .
I have been learning English for a lot of years now.
When I read a book or watch a [STRIKE]tv[/STRIKE] TV show I understand almost 100% of the material.
But when it comes to talking I still don't have the ability to talk freely about everything, and I am always stuck searching for words. What can I do about it? Again, when I read or listen I understand almost everything.

I think this is a very common problem. When I lived in Spain, after about a year, I could understand almost all conversations and TV/radio shows. However, my spoken Spanish was not very good. I only managed to learn the present tense of all verbs, constantly messed up genders and had various other problems.

The main advice is practise! Talk to native speakers as often as you can, hold conversations with yourself at home, but continue to watch and listen to English as often as possible.

You will notice a few amendments to your post in red, shown above. Remember to always capitalise the word "I", and do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You must be a genius!
I have been learning english for lots of years and I still can't say I understand almost 100% of stuff on TV and radio.
Idioms, slangs, some DJ's ridiculously fast talk without a single pause and some uutrageously long sentences with formal vocab in TV or radio news at least knock off 30% off of my understanding of all the English I have heard.
"Almost 100%" would be in my dream!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.