Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2012
    • Posts: 10
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Unhappy californians tale

    "They went away when the surface diggings gave out.What does "Gave out" means in this sentence?It, ceased or distributed?

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,569
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: californians tale

    Stopped being productive, i believe. I'm not sure what "surface diggings" are. But it sounds like a mine or something similar, so whatever they were looking for there was not found any longer.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 34,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: californians tale

    Quote Originally Posted by musitwain View Post
    "They went away when the surface diggings gave out.What does "Gave out" means in this sentence?It, ceased or distributed?
    What is the context? Are you referring to the California Gold Rush?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: californians tale

    Quote Originally Posted by musitwain View Post
    "They went away when the surface diggings gave out.What does "Gave out" means in this sentence?It, ceased or distributed?
    When the (gold, silver, or whatever) was no longer found on the surface (it was no longer easy to find - or, it gave out), they left. This happened quite often in the gold producing areas of California in the 19th Century. When the original miners left, companies with more sophisticated tools and techniques would come in and find the minerals that were below the surface.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2012
    • Posts: 10
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: californians tale

    Thank you a lot.I have got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    When the (gold, silver, or whatever) was no longer found on the surface (it was no longer easy to find - or, it gave out), they left. This happened quite often in the gold producing areas of California in the 19th Century. When the original miners left, companies with more sophisticated tools and techniques would come in and find the minerals that were below the surface.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Dec 2012
    • Posts: 10
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: californians tale

    It is a short story by mark twain "californians tale".
    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    What is the context? Are you referring to the California Gold Rush?

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] californians tale
    By musitwain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2012, 23:41
  2. The Love's Tale
    By Tinkerbell in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Jun-2012, 18:21
  3. a tale to a plot
    By giuly90 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2010, 10:26
  4. a tale of two actions
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Dec-2009, 18:45
  5. The Canvasser's Tale
    By karitaru in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2008, 16:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •