Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I asked this question before, but still don't understand. =(

1."Have you ever been in a situation where you know the other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?"
2." She remembered several occasions in the past when she had experienced a similar feeling."

Can I use "that" replace the above relative words "where"&"when", change them from Attributive Clauses to appositive clauses.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You appear to be asking about the usability of relative adverb 'that' in place of relative adverbs 'where' and 'when'. The answer is that, while this is sometimes possible, or even desirable (e.g. the day that she arrived instead of the day when she arrived), most speakers would probably not find it entirely acceptable with regard to either of these examples.

Note also, from an analytical viewpoint, that whichever adverb we may use, the clause constructed remains an adjectival relative (a.k.a. attributive) clause. An appositive clause is quite different.

*^^*

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you , philo2009

I looked through some related books yesterday. They say an Appositive Clause only states these words ,"idea,plan,fact,theory,promise,hope,news,doubt,truth,information,suggestion,question, thought,belief,conclusion"

e.g. I heard the news that our team had won.
There was a suggestion that Brown should be dropped from the team.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The main point is that an appositive clause is a kind of nominal clause (standing, as its name indicates, in apposition to a foregoing NP) and thus differs fundamentally from an attributive clause, an adnominal sentence element.

*^^*

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Agree with you , but still confussed. =(
If I have to express the following ideas by using appositive clause, how can I say them?
1."Have you ever been in a situation where you know the other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?"
2." She remembered several occasions in the past when she had experienced a similar feeling."

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Simply not possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.