Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Your brother shouldn’t be allowed to bully you in any way and at 12 you shouldn’t be feeling like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders."

have the weight of the world on shoulders - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I have checked the Free Dictionary looking for the definition/meaning of the aforementioned idiom and I have found it. However, it is beyond my capacity to memorize its definition from the dictionary thanks to poor concentration. Can I use James' words as an equivalent to that idiom.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

Please do not feel that way.

James

Thank you,

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
You shouldn't be feeling like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

Depending on the circumstances it means: You shouldn't be feeling so worried/stressed/sad/anxious, or more idiomatically, down in the dumps, that life's got you down.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You shouldn't feel like you are responsible for everything.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's a reference to the Greek myth of Atlas, who was punished for something by having to bear the weight of the world on his shoulders.

atlas.jpg

It's also referenced in the Beatles song "Hey Jude"
And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrainDon't carry the world upon your shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.