English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
If a girl says to herself,"I couldn't have gotten my mother's nose." What does she mean?
1. she got her mother's nose, and she doesn't like the nose.
2. she got her mother's nose, and she likes the nose.
3. she didn't get her mother's nose, and she doesn't like the nose.
4. she didn't get her mother's nose, and she likes the nose.
I am confused. help me please.
Thanks a million and I am looking forward to your reply.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
None, since nothing about the subject's liking/disliking is implied in the sentence.

Interpreted according to the range of choices you have specified, it simply denies the possibility of her having genetically inherited that particular feature, e.g. because the 'mother' is not her biological mother.

japanjapan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
the situation is that a group of American dancing girls are talking about their bodies, and one girl says "I couldn't have gotten my mother's nose." and she looks unhappy. the scene is from American Tv series “bunheads” season one, scenario one ,about at the 22nd minute。
I think it means the girl has her mother's nose and she doesn't like the nose. it means "If only I hadn't gotten my mother's nose!"
I am not sure. so I ask here.
who can help me?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume she thinks her mother has a cute nose and she didn't inherit one like her mother's, so she is bemoaning her luck.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assume she thinks her mother has a cute nose and she didn't inherit one like her mother's, so she is bemoaning her luck.

I entirely agree. I imagine it was said in a sarcastic or bemoaning tone of voice.

Oh, right. I got my mother's short legs and fat tummy but I couldn't have got her cute nose, could I? Oh, no. Not me. That's just bloody typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.