English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Great Britain
I'm doing this pre-Delta task and one of the question is as follows:
2. Certainly. Here’s our brochure. You can take away it.

a) Underline the errors
b) Write the corrections
c) Give a possible reason for the errors

Now obviously it should read You can take it away. But can someone explain the rule behind that or at least point me in the right direction? That'd be much much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I've got another example and I'd be grateful if you could have a quick look to see whether my explanation is ok:

1. Do you have got any money?
b) Have you got any money?
c) This error is probably due to the fact that learners are taught they need an auxiliary such as do, am or have in order to form a question. There are essentially two ways to form this question:
1. Have you got any money?
2. Do you have any money?
Both options are grammatically correct but some regions prefer one version over the other. In this example, the learner obviously confused and mixed up the two versions.

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I'm doing this pre-Delta task and one of the question is as follows:
2. Certainly. Here’s our brochure. You can take away it.

a) Underline the errors
b) Write the corrections
c) Give a possible reason for the errors

Now obviously it should read You can take it away. But can someone explain the rule behind that or at least point me in the right direction? That'd be much much appreciated.

It's just the usual word order. I'm not sure if much more can be said about this.

Edit: I've got another example and I'd be grateful if you could have a quick look to see whether my explanation is ok:

1. Do you have got any money?
b) Have you got any money?
c) This error is probably due to the fact that learners are taught they need an auxiliary such as do, am or have in order to form a question. There are essentially two ways to form this question:
1. Have you got any money?
2. Do you have any money?
Both options are grammatically correct but some regions prefer one version over the other. In this example, the learner obviously confused and mixed up the two versions.

There are three possible ways to ask this questions:

1) Do you have any money? (Used in BrE and AmE.)
2) Have you got any money? (Rarely used in AmE though very common in BrE.)
3) Have you any money? (Grammatical, though this construction is rarely used nowadays.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can understand learner's confusion these days with your second example. Teaching people the verb "to have got" instead of "to have" leads to such problems when trying to construct the negative or the interrogative.

The verb "to have got" had started to be taught in Spain while I was there and caused much confusion. I ended up teaching my students the two different versions and that they would just have to memorise them.

I have a car.
I do not have a car.
I don't have a car.
Do you have a car?

I have got a car.
I have not got a car.
I haven't got a car.
Have you got a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.