[Vocabulary] Another glass bites the dust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitoBr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello!

I was taking a nap (or at least trying to) with my wife when we heard the sound of shattering glass coming from the kitchen. We have some relatives at home and I was sure one of them had just broken a glass. Then I said: one glass less. But I kept thinking: is it right? I wanted to say that we had lost a glass.

Tks in advance,
Tito

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

I was taking a nap (or at least trying to) with my wife when we heard the sound of shattering glass coming from the kitchen. We have some relatives at home and I was sure one of them had just broken a glass. Then I said: one glass less. But I kept thinking: is it right? I wanted to say that we had lost a glass.

[STRIKE]Tks [/STRIKE] Thanks in advance,
Tito
You could say some of the following: we lost a glass, a glass was broken, somebody broke a glass, and many more. You could even say, another glass bit the dust - in the sense that someone, or something, fell into the dust - they died or were injured.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: ... or even, if it's a common occurence, 'There goes another one'; what the 'one' is, and what has happened to it, is understood.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Someone in another room who simply heard the sound of breaking glass could say to others "Uh oh, someone's having a smashing time!" This is a pun on the use of the word "smashing" which can mean "fantastic, wonderful, great".

TitoBr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Lol! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you and have a happy new year!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.