Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've read about the differences between coordinating conjunctions and subordinating conjunctions and also between independent and dependent clauses. However, I'm still not 100% clear about the differences between them.

For example, I read that "for" is a coordinating conjunction while "because" is a subordinating conjunction. Both are used to "give reasons". I'm confused because it seems that both words can be interchangeably used for most of the occasions I can think of. The only difference is that you can put "because" in the front of a sentence, but you can't put "for" in the beginning of the sentence.

Is that one reason why one is a CC while the other is a SC?

THanks.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've read about the differences between coordinating conjunctions and subordinating conjunctions and also between independent and dependent clauses. However, I'm still not 100% clear about the differences between them.

For example, I read that "for" is a coordinating conjunction while "because" is a subordinating conjunction. Both are used to "give reasons". I'm confused because it seems that both words can be interchangeably used for most of the occasions I can think of. The only difference is that you can put "because" in the front of a sentence, but you can't put "for" in the beginning of the sentence. For the love of God, where did you ever get that notion?

Is that one reason why one is a CC while the other is a SC?

THanks.
Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.