Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm Italian and I'm trying to create an english name for a cultural club, whose mission is "seeking for knowledge together". I need a short, evocative, memorizable yet correct phrase, and I wonder if "QUEST IT" could satisfy all these requirements. Or if it is a nonsense for native english. Thanks for your help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm Italian and I'm trying to create an English name for a cultural club, whose mission is "seeking for knowledge together". I need a short, evocative, memorizable yet correct phrase, and I wonder if "QUEST IT" could satisfy all these requirements. Or if it is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] nonsense for native English ​speakers. Thanks for your help.

"Quest" isn't used very often as a verb but there's no reason why it shouldn't be used in the imperative. It really depends whether you want everyone to immediately understand the meaning of the club's name without having to check a dictionary. Note that your mission should be "seeking knowledge together" (not "seeking for knowledge").

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds odd to me. You quest for things, or after things.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Perhaps you could call your club simply "Quest", so the name can embody both the noun and the verb, the search and to search.

not a teacher

kurt19xx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
It sounds odd to me.

When you say "odd" do you mean "wrong" and "not appealing"? Or may "quest it" have some chance to sound "archaic", "adventurous" or "intriguing"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you say "odd" do you mean "wrong" and "not appealing"? Or may "quest it" have some chance to sound "archaic", "adventurous" or "intriguing"?

It does sound odd because, exactly as SoothingDave said, we normally "quest for" or "quest after" something. So it would more naturally be "Quest after it" although that sounds like you're saying "The word QUEST comes after the word IT".

Between "wrong, not appealing, archaic, adventurous, intriguing", I would have to choose "wrong", I'm afraid.

Having said that, the titles of companies and groups are frequently ungrammatical (Toys R Us, for example, would be very odd in normal English even if they had spelt "Are" correctly).

The simple answer is that you can call your group anything you like - it just depends on whether you want people to understand what the group is about simply from reading the name. If not, you can make it as unclear or intriguing as you like.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds no odder than many another web name, including the very useful fraze.it site. You could employ that eye-catching trick of using phonetic spelling by calling your site kwest.it.

Having said that, the titles of companies and groups are frequently ungrammatical (Toys R Us, for example, would be very odd in normal English even if they had spelt "Are" correctly).

They even reversed the R.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps you could call your club simply "Quest", so the name can embody both the noun and the verb, the search and to search.

not a teacher
:up: I agree. As emsr2d2 said 'quest' is rarely a verb; and when it is, it doesn't take a direct object.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I can't say that I would make those associations; I think JMurray's suggestion does more of that as quest has some of those associations already- the Questing Beast in King Arthur, for example. Quest it is not a natural usage and, while it might work, risks being seen as an error or oddity rather than a creative usage IMO.

kurt19xx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
It sounds no odder than many another web name, including the very useful fraze.it site. You could employ that eye-catching trick of using phonetic spelling by calling your site kwest.it.

phrase -> fraze
quest -> kwest

Interesting tricks. How do you call this kind of transformations? In italian we can't do them, because when you change the letters, you change the sound also.

PS: fraze.it is fantastic

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I really don't know. If I had to name them, I'd have to coin something like 'heteronymous homophones', or 'orthographically distinct homophones! ;-) But normally we just call it spelling.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.