• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

• Post Thanks / Like

"no one could have predicted" the results of process achieved by present moment

Please help me with this paragraph.. I am not sure that all tenses are correct here.
    The problem for me is that "nowadays" (when we evaluate the results) is a future for those who might think about it some years ago.. so I do not know exactly should I write "it will change" or "it changes" or "it will have been changed" or what...

--------
    When my grandparents were young, the USSR had launched the first artificial satellite into space. At that time no one could have predicted to what extent it will change the world after only a few decades.
    ------------

And in the phrase "no one could have predicted" I doubt also. I just have seen it many times in this form. Can I say "no one could predict?"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: "no one could have predicted" the results of process achieved by present moment

Quote Originally Posted by quendi View Post
    Please help me with this paragraph.. I am not sure that all tenses are correct here.
    The problem for me is that "nowadays" (when we evaluate the results) is a future for those who might think about it some years ago.. so I do not know exactly should I write "it will change" or "it changes" or "it will have been changed" or what...

--------
    When my grandparents were young, the USSR had launched the first artificial satellite into space. At that time no one could have predicted to what extent it will change the world after only a few decades.
    ------------

And in the phrase "no one could have predicted" I doubt also. I just have seen it many times in this form. Can I say "no one could predict?"
    When my grandparents were young, the USSR launched the first artificial satellite into space. At that time, no-one could have predicted to what extent it would change the world after only a few decades.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.