Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have just heard that the d sound in "and" is rarely linked to I in the phrase "you and I". Is this right?
You and I: /ju: æn dai/

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? Your transcription shows the liaison - so which do you believe? Here's what I believe. More often than not the d is dropped: /ju: ǝn ai/ . However, 'You and I' is often used in a consciously correct way (avoiding /ju: ǝn mi:/ ), and in such cases the /d/ is clearly articulated; often, the /ai/ is often preceded by a glottal stop (so that, while transcribed word breaks, in a broad transcription, are largely conventional, the /d/ is clearly appended to the /ǝn/.

You'll have noticed that I always reduce the /æn/ to /ǝn/. I'd say that the open vowel is used chiefly when there is contrastive stress: 'You and I need to work on this.'

b

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have just seen a video here: Q&A Time: "d" "t" "k" cancellation (English sound cancellation) - YouTube In the video n is considered as a strong sound and d is considered as weak sound. Therefore, in "you and I" n will cancel d and d will be ignored. I have never heard this rule before but I am happy to know this! He give many rules that clear most of my doubts for a long time. I think it maybe doesn't considered as standard but it will help me improve listening skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.