Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
England are already 1-0 up, and a win today will hand them the series. Can't believe this contest is more than halfway through already.
Explain the red coloured sentence of this paragraph. There is no Noun or pronoun before Can't believe, which creates difficulty to understand the sentence. Please give one more example of such a sentence.

With Kind Regards

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
England are already 1-0 up, and a win today will hand them the series. Can't believe this contest is more than halfway through already.
Explain the red coloured sentence of this paragraph. There is no Noun or pronoun before Can't believe, which creates difficulty to understand the sentence. Please give one more example of such a sentence.

With Kind Regards

This sounds like a transcript of something that perhaps a sports commentator said, or maybe something someone put on Twitter during the cricket. It's very simple. The missing word is "I" and it is implied. If I said to my friend "My bike has just been stolen for the third time this month! Can't believe it!"

In spoken English, we do this kind of thing all the time. "I had a dreadful meal at that pizza place last night. Never going there again!" Obviously, the full sentence would be "I am never going there again!" but it's omitted because it's quite clear that I'm talking about myself. I would not say "I had a dread meal at that pizza place last night. My mother is never going there again!"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Where did you read or hear this? In speech or informal writing like texting, this sort of thing happens- to understand it, simply insert the most likely noun or pronoun.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read it in live cricket commentary at Live Cricket Scores | Cricket news, statistics | ESPN Cricinfo. A platform where written commentary is provided for every single ball.

Aha! There you go, then. As I said in my first response, it sounded like something from a commentary. Always remember that in spoken English, we don't always follow the rules of grammatical written English. A transcript of something which was said without a script (ie when a sports commentator is following the action and trying to describe it at the same time) will frequently have missing words, changes of direction halfway through a sentence, pauses in strange places etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.