When 2 alveolar sounds (eg. /d/ and /t/) come together, can we hear the first one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi,

I am learning English as my second language. I would like to know when two alveolar sounds come together, do native speakers pronounce the first one?

For example, although IPAs given for "partly" and "rapidly" are /ˈpɑːtli/ and /ˈræpɪdli/, as /t/,/d/ and /l/ are of the same place of articulation, do native speakers omit /t/ and /d/ (or make /t/ and /d/ to be something silent) and simply pronounce them like /ˈpɑːli/ and /ˈræpɪli/?

When I listen to the online dictionary pronunciations, it seems that no /d/ and /t/ sounds can be heard in these two words.

Here are the links of the online Oxford Dictionary with recorded pronunciations:
rapid - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com
partly - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

Thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In Both BrE and AME versions of 'rapidly', I heard the 'd'. I also heard the 't' in the BrE version of 'partly'. It was completely unexploded in the AmE version, but it was there. That AmE version was definitely not /ˈpɑːli/

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
You can release a stop consonant in many ways.
1. No release at all
2. open release
3. nasal release
4. lateral release

In dl, tl clusters, you can laterally release d/t; this is one way of presenting. The other way is to look at how you transition from one consonant to another consonant: open transition vs close transition. In English, they are close transitions. Open transitions sound foreign: imagine those foreign speakers who appear to be adding a vowel between consonants.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot for all of your comments. When I re-listen to the dictionary pronunciation several times, I guess the speakers "blend" the two consonants so that /t/ and /d/ sound unexploded and less clear to a foreign speaker like me.

I have tried to record my own pronunciation of the two words. In sound files, "partly1" and "rapidly1," I attempted to make the /t/ and /d/ more explicit, at least to myself. In sound files, "partly2" and "rapidly2," I tried to imitate the dictionary pronunciation.

If I would appreciate it very much if you would comment on my pronunciation and tell me which ones are better.:)

Attachments

• partly1.mp3
    63.6 KB · Views: 11
  • partly2.mp3
    59.6 KB · Views: 10
  • rapidly1.mp3
    77.6 KB · Views: 3
  • rapidly2.mp3
    63.6 KB · Views: 3

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'partly 2' is much more natural than 'partly 1'. I did not observe a great difference between the two 'rapidly' files.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? Really. I'd have it the other way round. I can't detect any sort of /l/ in partly 2.

(Incidentally, thincat, it's /bɪkɒz/. You make the second vowel more like /ɔ:/ - as it is in 'cause'. ;-))

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:-? Really. I'd have it the other way round. I can't detect any sort of /l/ in partly 2.
I've listened again. I still think the /t/ is less unnatural* in #2 than in #1, and the 'l' is clear enough to me, except perhaps in the very first 'partly'.

*perhaps 'much more natural was a little too positive.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Something is audible where the (theoretical) /l/ should be in partly 2, but it sounds to me more like [d]. Maybe this is because the speaker isn't managing the lateral release properly, so that when released it sounds like a voiced plosive. But your ear has been trained more recently than mine. ;-)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot for all of your comments. :)
I try to make the recording of "partly" once again and attempt to pronounce the /l/ sound more like a /l/ instead of a /d/. I guess this is the best I can as I am somehow restricted by my mother language.

Attachments

• partly3.mp3
    58.6 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.