Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Fruit is good for losing weight. VS. Fruit is good to lose weight.

I still cannot understand why the first one is correct and the second one is wrong? Could you help me out with this issue? I think the second one is more natural to say, What do you native English speakers think? And is there a meaning difference between them? Thank you so much as always and have a good day.

Cf.

6suitable
suitable or convenient: Is this a good time to talk to you?
It was a good place to rest.
good for (doing) something It's a good day for going to the beach.

14 suitable or appropriate Now is a good time to buy a house.good for something/to do something She would be good for the job.good for somebody Can we change our meeting? Monday isn't good (= convenient) for me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Fruit is good for losing weight. VS. Fruit is good to lose weight.

And is there a meaning difference between them?
Personally, I might use the first informally; I would not use the second. I can't offhand think why, but the second sounds unnatural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with 5jj. I can't quite put my finger on it, the best I can do is try to put in some implied words:

Eating fruit is good for the purposes of losing weight.

On a side note, I should also point out that whilst the statement doesn't actually qualify as a myth, it's also not quite as true as it may appear. Many people think that if they eat stacks and stacks of fruit instead of other snacks like crisps and biscuits that they will lose weight. That's not true. Fruit is packed full of sugar and the acids in many fruits won't do your teeth any favours either!

Status
Not open for further replies.