Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
In the following exercise:
"He works such overtime/ long hours, that he should get a pay rise", the correct answer is 'long hours'. However, I really don't know what the problem is with the other alternative. Is there a problem regarding grammar or meaning?

Thanks a million.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi
In the following exercise:
"He works such overtime/ long hours, that he should get a pay rise", the correct answer is 'long hours'. However, I really don't know what the problem is with the other alternative. Is there a problem regarding grammar or meaning?

Thanks a million.

"He works such a lot of overtime."
"He works such long hours."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He works so much overtime ...
He works such long hours ...

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks ems and bahi. You mean based on collocation and the meaning it''s not possible to say 'such overtime'. As we can use 'such' with a noun or a noun phrase. Like 'such weather, to be of such importance, such a girl,etc.'

Thanks a lot.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, when one works "overtime" one is usually paid extra, at a higher rate. So the original sentence does not make sense in that respect.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sadly, there are many places where people do loads of unpaid overtime just to get their actual job done. In my previous job, I was paid at time and a half every time I worked a Saturday, double time every time I worked a Sunday, and double time for any hours over 42.5 in one week.
In my current job, I am only paid at plain time (normal hourly rate) for any extra hours and I have to work an extra 15 minutes in order to get any more money at all.
Unfortunately, the original sentence makes a lot of sense in a lot of places.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sadly, there are many places where people do loads of unpaid overtime just to get their actual job done. In my previous job, I was paid at time and a half every time I worked a Saturday, double time every time I worked a Sunday, and double time for any hours over 42.5 in one week.
In my current job, I am only paid at plain time (normal hourly rate) for any extra hours and I have to work an extra 15 minutes in order to get any more money at all.
Unfortunately, the original sentence makes a lot of sense in a lot of places.

Unpaid overtime happens for salaried employees in the US, but for wage earners they must be paid for each hour they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.