Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In the following sentence, could the word 'school' be used in the meaning of "a group of people distinguished by similar manners, customs, or opinions"?

9. Show loyalty to the school and to the team members

If so, does it sound natural?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the following sentence, could the word 'school' be used in the meaning of "a group of people distinguished by similar manners, customs, or opinions"?

9. Show loyalty to the school and to the team members

If so, does it sound natural?

Thank you.
You couldn't use "school" in the sense of your description without defining the school. You could say that he was of the school of Romantic poets and this would mean that he wrote in a certain way. You could even say that he was loyal to that school in that he only wrote romantic poems. These types of schools (those holding similar beliefs) do not generally have teams - they are schools only in the sense that various people do the same type of activities. In fact, they probably do not know each other - "Charles, from the US, and Bijor, from Europe, though separated by thousands of miles and 50 years, were both members of the ABC School of finance".

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You couldn't use "school" in the sense of your description without defining the school. You could say that he was of the school of Romantic poets and this would mean that he wrote in a certain way. You could even say that he was loyal to that school in that he only wrote romantic poems. These types of schools (those holding similar beliefs) do not generally have teams - they are schools only in the sense that various people do the same type of activities. In fact, they probably do not know each other - "Charles, from the US, and Bijor, from Europe, though separated by thousands of miles and 50 years, were both members of the ABC School of finance".

Thank you, Gillnetter.

Given "loyalty to the school" is seen as a feature of effective team leaders, I am not sure if your example could work here. On the other hand, I have no idea what the "school" could mean in this context apart from probably some values/ideas/politics shared by a group of people larger than the team - a company maybe. Or could it be synonymous with 'the school of thought'?

I should probably have said that these characteristics were recommended by Pearson as free resources to accompany 'Market Leader' (see Unit 8). Assuming business language is developing faster than dictionaries, I would really appreciate any help with this sentence.

Thanks again.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, Gillnetter.

Given "loyalty to the school" is seen as a feature of effective team leaders, I am not sure if your example could work here. On the other hand, I have no idea what the "school" could mean in this context apart from probably some values/ideas/politics shared by a group of people larger than the team - a company maybe. Or could it be synonymous with 'the school of thought'?
Generally speaking, a school is a place where one goes to to become educated. A school has a physical location, or, perhaps a website. A school of thought is a different thing. If you and I agree that XXCVism is a good approach to life, then it can be said that we both belong to the XXCVism school of thought. Effective team leaders can be loyal to the team, they can be loyal to the company, and they can be loyal to each other. I can't see how one can be loyal to a school outside of being loyal to a specific place of education.

I took a look at some of the material from Pearson and noted this - "whether they are students of business English or people already in work".

This incorrect (already in work) statement leads me to believe that the writer is somewhat inept in English. If this is so, then I also can believe that they misunderstand how "school" is used in English. From what you are saying, they somehow have related "school" to mean business, or some other endeavor.

I should probably have said that these characteristics were recommended by Pearson as free resources to accompany 'Market Leader' (see Unit 8). Assuming business language is developing faster than dictionaries, I would really appreciate any help with this sentence.

Thanks again.
Gil

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks a lot, Gil.

It's a shame there are inaccuracies spread by Pearson - life would be much easier if they didn't.
I am more than grateful for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.