• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Airlines have a problem thatcustomers can't fit in the seats anymore

Dear all,

I would like to ask about the use of "a problem that" in the following passage, which I found in COCA corpus.

...And it's not the only thing. We have gone to a society where everything is fast food, everything is high calories. And the average person today is much heavier than they were. Airlines have a problem that customers can't fit in the seats anymore...

If it is okay, is it also fine to say, " I have suffered a problem that I cannot control my feelings"?

Thank you!

OP

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Airlines have a problem thatcustomers can't fit in the seats anymore

Quote Originally Posted by optimistic pessimist View Post
    Dear all,

I would like to ask about the use of "a problem that" in the following passage, which I found in COCA corpus.

...And it's not the only thing. We have gone to a society where everything is fast food, everything is high calories. And the average person today is much heavier than they were. Airlines have a problem that customers can't fit in the seats anymore...

If it is okay, is it also fine to say, " I have suffered a problem that I cannot control my feelings"?

Thank you!

OP
    I find the sentence you quoted about the airline problem to be rather unnatural. I would have said "Airlines have a problem, in that customers ..." or "Airlines have a problem, which is that customers can't fit ..." It may be that the quote is a direct transcript of what someone said in an interview. If that is the case, then you have to remember that people don't always speak grammatically when it's not scripted.

Your suggested sentence is not natural. For a start, I wouldn't say "I have suffered a problem", either "I had a problem" or "I suffered from ..."
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

bhaisahab is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Airlines have a problem thatcustomers can't fit in the seats anymore

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I find the sentence you quoted about the airline problem to be rather unnatural. I would have said "Airlines have a problem, in that customers ..." or "Airlines have a problem, which is that customers can't fit ..." It may be that the quote is a direct transcript of what someone said in an interview. If that is the case, then you have to remember that people don't always speak grammatically when it's not scripted.

Your suggested sentence is not natural. For a start, I wouldn't say "I have suffered a problem", either "I had a problem" or "I suffered from ..."
    It's very unnatural.