Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
A measure to help flood victims affected by Superstorm Sandy was overwhelmingly approved by the House in a 354-67 vote Friday.

Can I replace the phrase"
Superstorm Sandy" by "Sandy Superstorm"?
Is there any reason for using the bold phrase?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hurricanes are known as "hurricane Irene" not as "Irene hurricane." Same with this "superstorm" which was, in fact a hurricane.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: You can't change the order. Why would you want to? 'Sandy Superstorm' sounds like a comic-book hero ;-)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: You can't change the order. Why would you want to? 'Sandy Superstorm' sounds like a comic-book hero ;-)

b

Or as if it happened in the desert: it was a very sandy superstorm.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
You can't change the order. Why would you want to? 'Sandy Superstorm' sounds like a comic-book hero
Thank you all,
I thought it has something to do with sand but I am wrong; Sandy here is only a name for a hurricane!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all,
I thought it has something to do with sand but I am wrong; Sandy here is only a name for a hurricane!

Ah, that entirely explains your confusion!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

b

ems, I respectfully disagree. When used as an adjective it is possible to say 'a sandy superstorm'. I would classify the following video as an example of 'a very sandy superstorm'. Arizona Dust Storm: Amazing Time-Lapse of Phoenix 'Haboob' - YouTube

Cheers,
A4

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hurricanes are known as "hurricane Irene" not as "Irene hurricane." Same with this "superstorm" which was, in fact a hurricane.

That's what ems said.

But in this question "Sandy" is a proper name, not an adjective.
I agree with you, SD! 'Sandy' is a proper noun. Therefore, the word 'hurricane' also needs to be capitalized: 'Hurricane Sandy'. ;-)
Cheers,
A4

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
ems, I respectfully disagree. When used as an adjective it is possible to say 'a sandy superstorm'. I would classify the following video as an example of 'a very sandy superstorm'. Arizona Dust Storm: Amazing Time-Lapse of Phoenix 'Haboob' - YouTube

Cheers,
A4

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said that if you change the word order, it would sound like a "sandy superstorm" which is not what it was. It was a superstorm/hurricane, officially named "Sandy".

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

b

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said that if you change the word order, it would sound like a "sandy superstorm" which is not what it was. It was a superstorm/hurricane, officially named "Sandy".
My mistake, ems! I combined BobK's comment with yours and a whole different context was created! :oops:

I think it's time for me to read a comic book while I'm sitting in the middle of a very windy superstorm! ;-)

Cheers,
A4

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all,

Names of storms and hurricanes used to be given women's names. Then at some stage - I'm sure Wikipedia would supply the details - they started alternating M/F. With 'Sandy' they seem to be hedging their bets! (Maybe something to do with the storm/hurricane doubt - I've really no idea.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.