considering it rebellion vs considering it is a rebellion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In the presidential election of 1860, the Republican Party, led by Abraham Lincoln, had campaigned against the expansion of slavery beyond the states in which it already existed. The Republican victory in that election resulted in seven Southern states declaring their secession from the Union even before Lincoln took office on March 4, 1861. Both the outgoing and incoming US administrations rejected the legality of secession, considering it rebellion.

Is the bold phrase "considering it rebellion" missing something?
I mean that it should be "
considering it is a rebellion".

Thank you,

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
***NOT A TEACHER***

Will you check the definition of the word consider here, please? Read definition #4, it might help you. Also, you have a ready-made sentence from which you will know that the phrase that has been written in your post is natural, IMO.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Will you check the definition of the word consider here, please? Read definition #4, it might help you.
Definition 2, To think or deem to be; regard as, is closer.

As you say, the original is fine.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you all for your help!
Is my version also fine? I have checked the structure in Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA). It seems that the structure isn't commonly used.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you all for your help!
Is my version also fine? I have checked the structure in Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA). It seems that the structure isn't commonly used.

No, your version is not correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, your version does not work. If you had to change:

"Both the outgoing and incoming US administrations rejected the legality of secession, considering it rebellion"

you would have to change it to:

Both the outgoing and incoming US administrations rejected the legality of secession, because they considered it to be rebellion.

There is nothing wrong with the original.

The awards committee gave the actor the highest award, considering him the greatest actor of his time.
The president's team talked him out of announcing his latest policy, considering it disastrous.
Both the men and women in the group refused to take part in the ritual, considering it sinful.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The president's team talked him out of announcing his latest policy, considering it disastrous.
Both the men and women in the group refused to take part in the ritual, considering it sinful.
In these sentence, both "disastrous" and "sinful" are adjectives. Therefore, I think the original sentence can be written as follows:
Both the outgoing and incoming US administrations rejected the legality of secession, considering it rebellious. Is it right?
Is there any rule for it? I think "considering" here is a preposition ,and therefore we have to use a noun or something that playing a role as a noun. In the two sentences above, "it" is noun and "disastrous" and "sinful" are adjectives that modify the noun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.