Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 English Dub - YouTube

I am enjoying myself watching this so much but I've tried replaying several times and still can't get that word.

19:10 - 19:30
They made each other to turn around and say 'I love you' and as the young man was about to say it, the girl next to him said ___19:27_________ (sigh) ? Then, they roared with laughter.

What's that word, please?

THANKS a zillion!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the word is "Yikes". Apparently the girl was disappointed with the boy's performance!

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot! It turns out that it wasn't my inability to catch that word but I didn't know that word in the first place. Thanks again

Oh, by the way, this anime loves using the word 'already' in a sense which seems rather strange. For instance, when two guys are teasing another guy, the guy being teased said "give me a break already". Is 'already' used correctly here and is this a US thing? Thanks a lot

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
For instance, when two guys are teasing another guy, the guy being teased said "give me a break already". Is 'already' used correctly here and is this a US thing?

Where I come from this use of "already" as an intensifier is considered to be very American. It has caught on to some extent, but when it is used it's often done so with an exaggerated American accent for the whole phrase.

not a teacher

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For instance, when two guys are teasing another guy, the guy being teased said "give me a break already". Is 'already' used correctly here and is this a US thing?

Where I come from this use of "already" as an intensifier is considered to be very American. It has caught on to some extent, but when it is used it's often done so with an exaggerated American accent for the whole phrase.

not a teacher
I always thought it was American Jewish.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot! It is American English.
There she (the character) goes again

"Hurry up and climb over already"

So, basically, 'already' has no meaning here it simply means

"Hurry up and climb over!!!"

Am I right? It's really the first time I've heard already can be used in these ways. Could you guys please give me more examples?

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
perhaps I should write a new thread to get some help

Status
Not open for further replies.