Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,993
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Wouldn't that be, "My mate Cathy'd've done that"?

    In any case, 'Cathy', ending in a vowel, is different from 'love' and 'Clive;, which end in a consonant.
    Yes, I just spotted my missing word and entered it.

    Anyway, yes, I would still pronounce "love'd" the same way I pronounce "loved".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 45
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Apologies for not coming back here earlier - I had some computer trouble.

    Thanks to everyone for their input.

    It seems my poems are 'saved' ;) I.e. I can used 'love'd'. Although the consonant/vowel-remark seems to a very good point.

    Even so...: Two other consonant examples, which I hope can also be pronounced as one syllabe:

    - there will've been many rides

    - he might well've been describing himself.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,993
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balkenende View Post
    Apologies for not coming back here earlier - I had some computer trouble.

    Thanks to everyone for their input.

    It seems my poems are 'saved' ;) I.e. I can used 'love'd'. Although the consonant/vowel-remark seems to a very good point.

    Even so...: Two other consonant examples, which I hope can also be pronounced as one syllabe:

    - there will've been many rides

    - he might well've been describing himself.
    There is no physical way to pronounce "will've" or "well've" as one syllable. No matter how you try to shorten or clip them, they will always be the main word followed by "uh-v" (or however you write it!)
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 45
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Bummer... But thank you ;)

    Lastly (I hope), what about:

    to've been (in love, for instance)?

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balkenende View Post
    to've been (in love, for instance)?
    That would be two syllables for me.

    I'll just remind you that none of these forms (it'd, love'd, will've, well've, to've) are acceptable in writing, except perhaps for informal dialogues.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #16

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balkenende View Post
    Lastly (I hope), what about:

    to've been (in love, for instance)?
    That's the closest- you can make a case for it IMO.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 45
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #17

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    That would be two syllables for me.

    I'll just remind you that none of these forms (it'd, love'd, will've, well've, to've) are acceptable in writing, except perhaps for informal dialogues.
    Well, I'll only use it in poetry or film dialogue, so in creative writing.

    ('It'd', by the way, has an official entry in respectable on-line dictionaries)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 45
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #18

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    That's the closest- you can make a case for it IMO.
    Alright, so one 'yes', one 'no'. :)

    Any more people for 'yes'?

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #19

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balkenende View Post
    'It'd', by the way, has an official entry in respectable on-line dictionaries)
    Perhaps I was a little too dismissive of It'd. However, I would still maintain that it'd only be used in written representations of dialogue.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #20

    Re: It'd and love'd etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balkenende View Post
    Alright, so one 'yes', one 'no'. :)

    Any more people for 'yes'?
    More a maybe than a yes. I wouldn't go for an absolute no- you could pronounce it as one or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •