Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Be anxious for nothing, …"
Philippians 4:6

I think that the underlined part is Imperative mood. However, when it is followed by for nothing, how do I analyze it? There is an another pattern that goes with it but it is not suitable to be posted in here. Under which grammar point "Be anxious for nothing" goes, please?

Thank you,

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OD, you are correct! "Be anxious for nothing, ..." is an imperative sentence.

The "mood" is in the imperative which means "a command", "absolutely necessary", "forceful", or "demanding". In other words, it is not a suggestion. In Philippians 4:6 Paul is speaking by divine inspiration, therefore God is saying we have the potential to live anxiety free here on Earth.

Imagine what would happen to the imperative sentence if "for nothing" was left out! We would be left with a command to "be anxious"! Is that the message Paul was meant to deliver? I don't think so! ;-)

Cheers,
A4

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Imagine what would happen to the imperative sentence if "for nothing" was left out! We would be left with a command to "be anxious"! Is that the message Paul was meant to deliver? I don't think so! ;-)

A4
Though it could be ambiguous anyway. If I often got anxious for nothing would that make me a good Christian?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Don't be anxious about anything" would probably be how we would write this today. Or "Don't let anything make you anxious."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: OD, I get the impression that a lot of your source are Biblical. That is a very old translation (that was, at the time of the translation, intentionally archaic - so as to sound more resonant when read out in Church - reading out in Church was an avowed aim of the King James Bible).

If you talk like this you will be thought very odd. Raymott's (mis)interpretation is the most likely in modern English.

b

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

My greetings!
"Don't be anxious about anything" would probably be how we would write this today. Or "Don't let anything make you anxious."
Well put!

If you talk like this you will be thought very odd. Raymott's (mis)interpretation is the most likely in modern English.

b
Grateful!
How does for nothing change the mood?

I got confused when I came across an imperative mood being followed by for nothing. I thought it was supposed to be, "Don’t be worry/anxious!" I don’t know what the purpose of for nothing is?

Thank you all,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.