Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Rover = bicycle

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,086
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    If you called a Scottish person "Scotch" they would be offended. "Scots" is acceptable. To the best of my knowledge Scottish people don't call whisky Scotch, they call it whisky.
    (Only distantly Scottish)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    The entire "Scotch" tape thing started as an ethnic slur anyway, so the Scots should be offended. According to legend, the original tape was not very good, hence considered "Scotch" meaning "cheap."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    How about google as a verb?

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    ...
    "Hoover" is now uncapitalised and is just a "hoover".
    ...
    Not only is it uncapitalized - to the horror, perhaps, of the lawyers - but it's even a verb: 'Leave that, I'll hoover it up when you're finished'. MrsK says this when I'm putting up shelves - even though the appliance that she does the hoovering with (yes, it's a back-formed abstract noun as well) is in fact a Dyson.

    b

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,998
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Not only is it uncapitalized - to the horror, perhaps, of the lawyers - but it's even a verb: 'Leave that, I'll hoover it up when you're finished'. MrsK says this when I'm putting up shelves - even though the appliance that she does the hoovering with (yes, it's a back-formed abstract noun as well) is in fact a Dyson.

    b
    It's been both a verb and a noun for as long as I can remember. We use the verb in other ways too. For example, if someone eats a plate of food very quickly, almost just sucking it into their mouth, never to be seen again, you can say "Wow! He hoovered that up!"
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #16

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Another one: the makers of adhesive tape designed for repairs to air ducts, noting that users assimilated the first /t/ anyway, coined the brand-name 'Duck Tape'. I don't think users nowadays care about the particular tape they use bearing the 'Duck' brand (although 'DuCk' has a pretty large market share).

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 12-Jan-2013 at 13:39. Reason: Ficed typo

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,998
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #17

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Another one: the makers of adhesive tape designed for repairs to air ducts, noting that users assimilated the first /t/ anyway, coined the brand-name 'Duck Tape'. I don't think users nowadays care about the particular tape they use bearing the 'Duck' brand (although 'Dusk' has a pretty large market share).

    b
    That's one of those things that you suddenly discover you've been mishearing/mis-saying for rather a lot of years. Until about six months ago, I believed the generic term was "duct tape" and thought it was simple coincidence when I noticed a brand of "duct tape" in the DIY store called "Duck Tape". I was then told that whether talking about that specific brand or not, I should have been calling it "duck tape" because that was the generic name that had stuck (no pun intended).
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #18

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    We have no other word in Polish to describe a bicycle, but ... rover (spelled rower)...
    Returning to the first post, I believe in Ireland, or in a part of Ireland, or in the imagination of Flann O'Brien, there was a brand of bicycle that was used generically. It's a while since I read The Third Policeman so I forget what the name was.

    b

    PS Incidentally, that book examines the possibility of the transformation that Rover feared (a man turning into a bicycle)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #19

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Portakabin/portacabin

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #20

    Re: Rover = bicycle

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That's one of those things that you suddenly discover you've been mishearing/mis-saying for rather a lot of years. Until about six months ago, I believed the generic term was "duct tape" and thought it was simple coincidence when I noticed a brand of "duct tape" in the DIY store called "Duck Tape". I was then told that whether talking about that specific brand or not, I should have been calling it "duck tape" because that was the generic name that had stuck (no pun intended).
    Duct tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Interesting article. I've always known it as "duct tape" and assumed people who thought it was "duck" were simply mis-hearing things.

    Turns out that it was originally "duck," but "duct" is the term in common use since the 1950s.

    There is a brand "Duck" but they call it "Duck brand duct tape."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •