Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
According to this paragraph:
Alex said the name of his home town, and the driver said, Come on. I’m going near there. You can come with me.
Alex got into the front of the lorry, and the driver looked carefully into his face. Do I know you?He asked.
Alex said nothing, and waited. He felt very tired. The driver stared at him for a minute, then he smiled. No, I don’t know you, he said. Get into the back of the lorry. Nobody can see you there.

1. Where was the driver heading? Somewhere near Alex’s home town.
2. Did the driver examine Alex carelessly? No, he didn’t. He did it carefully.
3. Did the driver gaze at Alex shortly? Yes he did.
4. Why did Alex go into the back of the lorry? Because nobody could see him there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,
Alex said the name of his home town, and the driver said, Come on. I’m going near there. You can come with me.
Alex got into the front of the lorry, and the driver looked carefully into his face. Do I know you?He asked.
Alex said nothing, and waited. He felt very tired. The driver stared at him for a minute, then he smiled. No, I don’t know you, he said. Get into the back of the lorry. Nobody can see you there.

1. Where was the driver heading? Somewhere near Alex’s home town.
2. Did the driver examine Alex carelessly? No, he didn’t. He did it carefully.
3. Did the driver gaze at Alex shortly? Yes he did. (This depends on what you mean by shortly. Staring at someone for a minute (60 seconds) is not what I would consider shortly. Look in a mirror for 60 seconds and see if you consider this a short time)
4. Why did Alex go into the back of the lorry? Because nobody could see him there. (I don't believe so. Alex got in the back because that is what the driver told him to do.)

Thanks in advance.
Gil

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,

1. Where was the driver heading? Somewhere near Alex’s home town. (Technically, we don't know where he was heading. We only know that wherever it was, it was somewhere near Alex's home town.)
2. Did the driver examine Alex carelessly? No, he didn’t. He did it carefully. (Even though it's correct, I always find the use of "careless" like this rather unnatural. I would say "casually" or "perfunctorily".)
3. Did the driver gaze at Alex shortly? Yes he did. It is rare for "shortly" to mean "lasting a short period of time". It is normally taken to mean "happening in a few moments/happening soon". I would use "briefly".
4. Why did Alex [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] get into the back of the lorry? Because nobody could see him there. I agree with Gillnetter here. He got into the back of the lorry because the driver told him to. You could ask "Why did the driver suggest that Alex get into the back of the lorry?" in order to elicit the answer you quoted.

Thanks in advance.

See above.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Did the driver gaze at Alex shortly? Yes he did. (This depends on what you mean by shortly. Staring at someone for a minute (60 seconds) is not what I would consider shortly. Look in a mirror for 60 seconds and see if you consider this a short time)

Hi,
What else can I say? Seen this way, it is not a short period of time.

Why did Alex go into the back of the lorry? Because nobody could see him there. (I don't believe so. Alex got in the back because that is what the driver told him to do.)
You are right. Nothing to say.

L.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Where was the driver heading? Somewhere near Alex’s home town. (Technically, we don't know where he was heading. We only know that wherever it was, it was somewhere near Alex's home town.)
Then it is right, isn't it? The answer never tells where he was heading.

Why did Alex go get into the back of the lorry? Because nobody could see him there. I agree with Gillnetter here. He got into the back of the lorry because the driver told him to. You could ask "Why did the driver suggest that Alex get into the back of the lorry?" in order to elicit the answer you quoted.
Thank you for this one too.
One more question:
"Why did the driver suggest that Alex get into the back of the lorry?
The verb 'get' is in the simple present because it is affected by the verb 'did' even though we have two different subjects?

L.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then it is right, isn't it? The answer never tells where he was heading.

Thank you for this one too.
One more question:
"Why did the driver suggest that Alex get into the back of the lorry?
The verb 'get' is in the simple present because it is affected by the verb 'did' even though we have two different subjects?

L.

How would you have expected it to be worded?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
How would you have expected it to be worded?
With the simple past. Isn't 'that' a subordinate conjunction like 'after, what, when', like in these ones?
What did the man do immediately after he saw they were in his car?
Did she understand what he said the first time?
What did he do when she left the room?
I didn't know that she was married.

I'm sure I'm missing something, just don't know what it is.

L.

Status
Not open for further replies.