Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"To combat worry, Hallowell suggests that people should not worry alone, because people are much more likely to come up with solutions when talking about their concerns with a friend. As well, he urges worriers to find out more information about the issue that is troubling them, or make sure that their information is correct. Another step to reduce worry is to make a plan and take action and take "care of your brain" by sleeping enough, getting exercise, and eating a healthy diet (without a "lot of carbs, junk food, alcohol, drugs, etc). Hallowell encourages worriers to get "regular doses of positive human contact" such as "a hug or a warm pat on the back".Finally, he suggests that worriers let the problem go rather than gathering them around themselves.[SUP]"[/SUP]
Worry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pat someone on the back and give someone a pat on the back
1. Lit. to pat someone's back to show praise.
2. Fig. to praise someone for something.
More: pat on the back - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Does the word hug give us a hint that the intended meaning of the underlined part is literary?

Thank you,

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Lit. to pat someone's back to show praise.
2. Fig. to praise someone for something.

Does the word hug give us a hint that the
intended meaning of the underlined part is literary?

First, I think "Lit." stands for "Literal", rather than "Literary". Nevertheless, I agree with your interpretation - although both a hug and a (literal) pat on the back are both enhanced when accompanied by some kind words.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think the writer is speaking of a literal hug and a literal pat on the back to show warmth and empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.