• British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is it call "the head platform gate"

Dear teachers,

My friends (Jan, Adele, Sakura) and I were appointed to gather at ABC Train Station. Since the station was very big, I phoned to Jan and asked her for the exact location to wait for the others. Jan told me to wait for her at the Exit A, but I could not see it. So, I asked her again whether Exit A was near the end platform gate of the station, but she seemed not know what I meant. I explained to her that I saw the train running toward my side, so I called it the head platform gate.

I think my English is not good enough to tell her what I meant.
    Is it call "the head platform gate", and the other side of the station called "the end platform gate"

Please help me, teachers.

Thank you

Kitty

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it call "the head platform gate"

Don't worry. You are not the only person to find difficulty in describing a particular location to others - in any language. I have not heard the expressions "head" or "end" platform used before in British English, and it would certainly require others to know in which direction the train was moving. I tend to use two systems, depending on the circumstances. If I am dealing with someone who [like me] is generally aware of their geographical orientation, then I will say, for example, "Meet me at the most Northern exit". Otherwise, I will try to relate the position to something else close to it which can easily be seen, for example, "Meet me at the exit closest to platform 5".
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it call "the head platform gate"

If it's a terminus, it's not too difficult. You're either at the station end of the platform or the non-station end. However, if you're at a station somewhere along the track it's more difficult. I would have had to say to my friend "Go to the platform and then stand facing the tracks. Then walk along to your left all the way to the end. That's where I'm waiting." Having said that, if it's a platform or station you both use regularly, then you will both know from which direction the train enters the station. In that case, you can say "I'll be at the front [end] of the train" or "I'll be at the rear [end] of the train".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.