Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
1. If you fall under the category of people who work in other countris, you must submit the following documents:

2. If you fall under "people who work in other countries", you must submit the following documents:

Could I omit "the category of" in this case like 2?
I know it is better to say something like "If you fall under Category A", if Category A, Category B, etc. are written before the sentence, but there is no description like that in this case.
So please tell me Sentence 2 is correct or not ("the category of" is necessary or not).

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. If you fall under the category of people who work in other countris, you must submit the following documents:

2. If you fall under "people who work in other countries", you must submit the following documents:

Could I omit "the category of" in this case like 2?
I know it is better to say something like "If you fall under Category A", if Category A, Category B, etc. are written before the sentence, but there is no description like that in this case.
So please tell me Sentence 2 is correct or not ("the category of" is necessary or not).

Thank you.

I would use a combination of the two:

If you fall into the category "People who work in other countries", you must submit ...

Last edited by a moderator:

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you:), but is Sentence 2 correct or incorrect?

Also, you changed "fall under" to "fall into". I'd like to know the difference between them. Should I start a new thread for it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use "fall under the category of". I have always used/seen "fall into the category of". If you remove "category" then you can use "under".

I fall under "People who work abroad".
I fall into the category "People who work abroad".

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I see. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.