Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm trying to understand various sentence parts, clauses, etc. So I would appreciate some help:

1) In this sentence: "One reason why we shouldn't spend so much money on the armed forces is because there are other important areas we could use the money on."

Could someone help me with breaking down this sentence to various parts. E.g. where is the independent clause, the dependent clause, the abverbial clause, relative clause, noun clause, etc. It would be a great help. This sentence is quite complex. I would like an explanation of the "is" and the "because" especially and what it's in the position it is.

2) In the sentence "He scored a great goal by using his hand." Would "by using his hand" just be a prepositional phrase or could it be defined/explained in other ways.

Thanks. Appreciate someone's help.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm trying to understand various sentence parts, clauses, etc. So I would appreciate some help:

1) In this sentence: "One reason why we shouldn't spend so much money on the armed forces is because there are other important areas we could use the money on."

Could someone help me with breaking down this sentence to various parts. E.g. where is the independent clause, the dependent clause, the abverbial clause, relative clause, noun clause, etc. It would be a great help. This sentence is quite complex. I would like an explanation of the "is" and the "because" especially and what it's in the position it is.

2) In the sentence "He scored a great goal by using his hand." Would "by using his hand" just be a prepositional phrase or could it be defined/explained in other ways.

Thanks. Appreciate someone's help.

1) A more standard form for this sentence would be

One reason why we shouldn't spend so much money on the armed forces is that there are other important areas we could use the money on.

and so, analyzed on that basis:

One reason: sentence subject
why...forces: relative clause (antecedent: reason)
is: main verb of sentence
that...areas: nominal clause, complementing copula 'is'
we...on: relative contact clause (antecedent: areas)

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

2) It is (structurally) a gerundive prepositional phrase functioning as an instrumental adverbial adjunct.

englishteacher79

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your answer! Very complex but thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.