Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Teachers, Are the sentences right?
1.He learns English hard, does John.
2. She’s had a hard life, has Ma Parker.
Thanks!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
2's fine (as I think you know). 1 is not.

You could say 'He has a hard time learning English...' or 'He finds learning English hard...'. If he's demonstrative about it, you could say 'He makes hard work of learning English...' or 'he's making heavy weather of learning English...'. The '...does John' is OK, though not formal (and rather dated - my teachers used to say it but my peers don't).

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or perhaps you mean he is a diligent student: He studies hard, does he.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or perhaps you mean he is a diligent student: He studies hard, does he.
Hmm - didn't think of that. I assumed that notlerest had found sentence 2 (different font) and was trying to use the word in another context invented by him or her, but with 'hard' used in the same sense ('difficult/taxing/arduous...'), successfully matching the rather archaic sentence tag 'has Ma Parker'/'does John'.

b

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I rather like, "He learns English hard, does John". I certainly understand it. You could add the word "so" before "John", which would add to its "understandability" but detract from its style.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I rather like, "He learns English hard, does John". I certainly understand it. You could add the word "so" before "John", which would add to its "understandability" but detract from its style.
"He learns English hard, does so John"? That sounds very un-English to me.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"He learns English hard, so does John". It's a little like "John learns English hard, yes he does." Perhaps it is unenglish, but so it "That was the most unkindest cut of all".

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2's fine (as I think you know). 1 is not.

You could say 'He has a hard time learning English...' or 'He finds learning English hard...'. If he's demonstrative about it, you could say 'He makes hard work of learning English...' or 'he's making heavy weather of learning English...'. The '...does John' is OK, though not formal (and rather dated - my teachers used to say it but my peers don't).

b
According to you , it seems to me that the following four sentences are all right.
'He has a hard time learning English, does John.
'He finds learning English hard,does John.
'He makes hard work of learning English,does John.
'He is making heavy weather of learning English,does John.' (of course he=John)
But I don't know why "He learns English hard, does John," is not , and why "She's a hard life ,has Ma Parker," is right.
In my eyes , if the original 2# is right, 1# is right, too.
By the way, the forth sentence of yours “He is making heavy weather of learning English,does John ," putting up a new question, should we change "does" into "is"?
Thank Bobk very much!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes you should. Study collocates with hard, but learn doesn't. That's why your first sentence doesn't work. FA says he would understand it; but I wonder which of these three meanings he would understand:

• He finds it hard to study...
  • He makes a great effort to study...[but but is hindered or distracted]
  • He studies diligently...[and successfully]
There maybe other meanings to understand. So while some people may quibble with my assertion that it's wrong, it's unquestionably ambiguous (and to be avoided for that reason) ;-)

b

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The third, I think.

Ambiguity is not always to be avoided. The English of science and the English of entertainment are quite different. Puns are fun, and they are all about ambiguity.

FA

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry :oops: - I assumed this was in the Ask a Teacher forum. All but the most advanced students of ELT want to avoid ambiguity. What you do here is your own business ;-)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry :oops: - I assumed this was in the Ask a Teacher forum.

b

Me too! That's what I get for going by "new posts" instead of by forum.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hmm - didn't think of that. I assumed that notlerest had found sentence 2 (different font) and was trying to use the word in another context invented by him or her, but with 'hard' used in the same sense ('difficult/taxing/arduous...'), successfully matching the rather archaic sentence tag 'has Ma Parker'/'does John'.

b
Just as your assumption, first I learned that “ In even more informal style, the operator is sometimes included with postponed identification to some dialects, there may be inversion when the verb is be. . He is a completely idiot, is John. = John is..“ (Quirk, p.1301) It reminds me of the sentence “She’s had a hard life, has Ma Parker.” Then the question comes to me why does Quirk only point out “when the verb is be” and without an example of verb do ?
Please help me ,teachers!Thanks!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? Is that p 1301 Quirk quote right? It should be either 'He is a complete idiot...' or 'He is completely idiotic...'.

b

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:-? Is that p 1301 Quirk quote right? It should be either 'He is a complete idiot...' or 'He is completely idiotic...'.

b
Sorry , I am so careless. The page is 1310,not 1301.The sentence is :He's a complete idiot, is John. It is not that " He is completely idiotic...."
I feel ashamed for myself!
Thank you, indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.