Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
hello, i have a question about something somebody wrote to me. its about this sentence.

"You are like a stone...Borring"

after writing this she say she mean totally something different. Now the question.
What if somebody read this like she wrote it does it mean ?
Its a simple question and i ask already a lot ppl about it and all say the same to me.
To show here what it means to me i ask here in this forum.
I mean, english teacher wil be not wrong. I hope after that she wil understand.
Please let me know. Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hello, i have a question about something somebody wrote to me. its about this sentence.

after writing this she say she mean totally something different. Now the question.
What if somebody read this like she wrote it does it mean ?
Its a simple question and i ask already a lot ppl about it and all say the same to me.
To show here what it means to me i ask here in this forum.
I mean, english teacher wil be not wrong. I hope after that she wil understand.

It doesn't make sense, and since she's told you that she didn't mean that, why are you concerned?
Anyhow, 'boring' has two meanings. Look up 'bore'. Boring is what a drill does to wood. Boring also means not very interesting.
It's possible that a stone could bore wood (make a hole in it), and it's also possible that a stone is not very interesting.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I have a question about something somebody wrote to me. It's about this sentence:

After writing this she [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] said she meant [STRIKE]totally[/STRIKE] something totally different. Now the question.
What would someone think if they read this sentence? [STRIKE]if somebody read this like she wrote it does it mean?[/STRIKE]
It's a simple question and I have already asked [STRIKE]already[/STRIKE] a lot of [STRIKE]ppl[/STRIKE] people about it and they have all [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] said the same to me.
I want to show [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] her what it means to me so I am asking here in this forum.
I mean, an English teacher wil be not wrong. I hope after that she wil understand.

Please see my amendments above.

As Raymott said, "boring" has two meanings so you need to check those first. However, if this other person already told you that she meant something other than the meaning you understood, then just ask her what she meant. Either she misunderstood the meaning of the word "boring" or she meant it and now she is trying to backtrack.

dready71

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
It doesn't make sense, and since she's told you that she didn't mean that, why are you concerned?
Anyhow, 'boring' has two meanings. Look up 'bore'. Boring is what a drill does to wood. Boring also means not very interesting.
It's possible that a stone could bore wood (make a hole in it), and it's also possible that a stone is not very interesting.

well, i try to explane again. with Borring she means not interesting. not the wood stuff of course.
and try to keep it simple pls. if somebody write something like this to you in a chat, what it wil tell you ?
if i write you you, You are like a stone...Borring" what this person is telling you ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
well, i try to explane again. with Borring she means not interesting. not the wood stuff of course.
and try to keep it simple pls. if somebody write something like this to you in a chat, what it wil tell you ?
if i write you you, You are like a stone...Borring" what this person is telling you ?

Did you read my reply (post #3)? I made a lot of amendments to your post. You need to follow the rules of written English if you expect us to continue to assist you. Remember:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Please note the spelling of "boring". Also, please us correct capitalisation and do not leave a space between words and punctuation marks.

dready71

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
im not concerned. i trying to explane here what it meant to me when she say it. the sentence is importend. she say she dont mean it in this waty, i understand that. but the sentence itself still mean ...that im boring like a stone.
if you read this sentence this is what it says.
again, its not what she mean with this sentence, its about what the sentence mean. (and not boring about a stone in the wood)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
im not concerned. i trying to explane here what it meant to me when she say it. the sentence is importend. she say she dont mean it in this waty, i understand that. but the sentence itself still mean ...that im boring like a stone.
if you read this sentence this is what it says.
again, its not what she mean with this sentence, its about what the sentence mean. (and not boring about a stone in the wood)

Your written English has got worse the longer this thread has gone on. There is not one capital letter in this post. I'm not sure what you meant by "im not concerned" but I have a feeling that you meant that you're not concerned about writing English correctly. We have told you that the sentence means what you think it means. If she meant something else, she needs to explain it to you herself.

I am closing this thread as there are just too many corrections to be made to your writing at the present time and you have consistently ignored our requests to use correct capitalisation and punctuation. If another moderator disagrees, feel free to reopen the thread.

If you wish to continue using the forum, start a new thread following the rules of written English.

Status
Not open for further replies.