I just want to make donation altruistically without expecting anything in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
1) I want to make donation in my grandmother's name to the senior home. I just want to make donation out of altruistism/goodwill/benevolence.

2) I just want to make donation altruistically without expecting anything in return.

3) My reason for making donation is purely for altruistic reasons.

4) My reason for making donation is motivated by altruistic reasons.

Hope somebody can help me check the above sentences and see if they need any correction. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The main problem with all four sentences is that you have omitted the indefinite article before "donation".

eunice65078

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say:
1) I want to make an altruistic donation in my grandmother's name to the senior home.
2) I want to make a donation altruistically - without expecting anything in return.
3) I am making a donation for purely altruistic reasons.
4) Motivated by altruistic reasons, I am making a donation.

I am not an English teacher, but I think these sentences would be understandable...

Angiee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hello,

I can help u with that! :up:
Contact me on nicolelora33@yahoo.com

1) I want to make donation in my grandmother's name to the senior home. I just want to make donation out of altruistism/goodwill/benevolence.

2) I just want to make donation altruistically without expecting anything in return.

Hope somebody can help me check the above sentences and see if they need any correction. Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I'd leave "for altruistic reasons" out of them all. But then you wouldn't say, "I want to offer you a bribe" either.
I'd say that in Canada, where you say you are, a donation is an altruistic gift. "I want to make a donation" is sufficient.
Also, 3 and 4 are bad. "My reason is for altruistic reasons" One reason is for another reason? No. Your donation is motivated by altruistic reasons. Even better, your donation is motivated by [your] altruism.

Status
Not open for further replies.