...due to/as a result of/because of many people owning guns (noun + verb -ing + noun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishteacher79

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For the sentence,

"There is a lot of gun violence in America due to/as a result of/because of many Americans owning guns"

Don't mind the political statement :)

I'm hoping to teach my students how to use "due to", "as a result of" and "because of". If I'm not wrong, they are all complex prepositions. Feel free to correct me at any time. And I want to teach them about what follows such prepositions. I believe you can follow prepositions with:
1) nouns - E.g. There is a lot of gun violence in America due to liberal gun laws.
2) the fact that + clause - E.g. There is a lot of gun violence in America due to the fact that many Americans own guns.
3) I also know that you can follow a preposition with a verb -ing. I think this sentence is OK "He made me happy as a result of surprising me on my birthday".

Taking the gun violence sentence above, it wouldn't really make sense to say "There is a lot of gun violence in America due to owning guns". However, it seems to be OK to say "There is a lot of gun violence in America due to PEOPLE owning guns".

So my question is if it's also a rule that you follow a preposition not only with "verb -ing" but also with "noun/subject + verb-ing" as in the above case - "people + owning"?

Thanks. If anyone can explain the above use and rules, that would be awesome.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Political or otherwise, I'm not sure you can simply state that gun violence is a direct result of a lot of people owning guns. You might want to reword your examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.