• Thread starter wisdomsy
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,778
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wisdomsy

Hello teacher!
I'm So young living in South Korea. I wanted to pull together my thoughts about current issues. This is about the government involvement in obesity. I'm sincerely grateful for your feedback. Thank you :)

Basically, individuals bear the responsibility for obesity. They pay for the cost. A French airline calls fat passengers to pay more for their seats. In America, some employers push obese workers to pay more for their health care insurance.

In most countries, the government covers the health insurance. In the U.S., obesity takes one fifth of health care bill according to Insurance Journal. In the end, fat people raise the tax for everyone. There are social costs too. Obesity reduces labor productivity.

The government involvement is justified only when it can save people from harm without causing costs. Smoking ban in public was initially controversial but now it is seen as general. Only a few people see that the involvement is against personal freedom.

The thing is how the government can encourage fat people to eat healthily. How can it discourage overeating? Surgery and drugs help but prevention should come first. City planners can make city friendly to pedestrians and cyclists so that they’re encouraged to exercise. Posting calories on menu, getting healthy lunches to school cafeteria, adding more physical activities in school as well as taxing sugary drinks and regulating the size of the containers make good examples. Not all fatty food are harmful. We can think of cheese, turkey, milk. They contain essential nutrition for us. When it comes to fizzy drinks, they don’t have nutrition value.

Too much personal freedom would lead to indulgence. We saw the much liberty eventually caused deadly shooting accidents. We cannot get rid of obesity and gun violence but we can reduce them. The one thing everyone agrees on is that we want health and safety. The government intervention is justified only when it can help people out of trouble at no expenses. I respect the freedom but I don’t respect the freedom that lead people to fall into indulgence. This is my point.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I respect the freedom but I don’t respect the freedom that lead people to fall into indulgence. This is my point.

Then how is that respecting freedom?

Status
Not open for further replies.