Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please help me with "we do:" in the quote:
"We may not brand the unemployed with a red-hot iron today, but sear their minds with criticism we do: the 'deserving' and 'not deserving' poor still exist."
Somebody says it is ...but we do sear ... But I don't think so,bedause: 1.I haven't come across such construction; 2. There is no need to use such a construction, for there is "we may not...,but..."which has the emphatic function.
I am all ears for yours!
thanks!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It can be read "we do sear". That is normal word order for English. I thought of the fancy (Greek) term for the use of unusual word order for style -- "anastrophe". Elsewhere on this forum I was groping for that word.

"We do sear" is the emphatic form of "we sear", at least in Reed-Kellogg terms.

Frank

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please help me with "we do:" in the quote:
"We may not brand the unemployed with a red-hot iron today, but we do sear their minds with criticism [STRIKE]we do[/STRIKE]: the 'deserving' and 'not deserving' poor still exist."
Somebody says it is ...but we do sear ... But I don't think so,bedause: 1.I haven't come across such construction; 2. There is no need to use such a construction, for there is "we may not...,but..."which has the emphatic function.
I am all ears for yours!
thanks!

I agree with "Somebody", but I also agree with 2. above.

Status
Not open for further replies.