Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1)I have been transferred from mechanical to electrical department.
2)I am transferred from mechanical to electrical department.

Supposedly, If I am working still in electrical department and I got transferred three months ago. In this context, which one is correct? Since the transfer is valid( i.e I still wok in electrical department), can we use "have been"? However, I feel transfer is one time action. So, it can't continue. Even, "was transferred" makes sense but I still work there.

How shall we mention the date when we got transferred Like "october 3"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1)I have been transferred from mechanical to electrical department.
2)I am transferred from mechanical to electrical department.

Supposedly, If I am working still in electrical department and I got transferred three months ago. In this context, which one is correct? Since the transfer is valid( i.e I still wok in electrical department), can we use "have been"? However, I feel transfer is one time action. So, it can't continue. Even, "was transferred" makes sense but I still work there.

How shall we mention the date when we got transferred Like "october 3"?

I have been transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department.
I was transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department on October 3rd.
I transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department on October 3rd.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have been transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department.
I think this one is more apt because I still work in the electrical department. However, can I not mention the date?

I was transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department on October 3rd.

Can I use this if I still work there?

I transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department on October 3rd.

Does it mean I voluntarily transferred and not by the firm?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think this one is more apt because I still work in the electrical department. However, can I not mention the date? Not if you use the present perfect. You could add the date as an afterthought: 'I have been transferred to the electrical department - on 3 October, actually.' It doesn't make a grammatical sentence, but it sounds OK if there's a long enough pause before you specify the date.

Can I use this if I still work there?
Yes

Does it mean I voluntarily transferred and [was not moved] [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] by the firm?
Yes.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can use all three if you still work in the electrical department. If you no longer work in the electrical department, I wouldn't use #1.

jebonfikri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I think..
I have been transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department since October 3rd. Because we mention the date we use "since".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think..
I have been transferred from the mechanical department to the electrical department since October 3rd. Because we mention the date we use "since".

You can only use that if you have been transferred there on an unspecified date between (not including) October 3rd and yesterday.

"Since October 3rd" means "after October 3rd".

Jebonfikri, please follow the forum guidelines and remember to state in your responses that you are not a teacher.

jebonfikri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I am sorry..I put "I think..." because I am not sure, it just my thought. Thank you for your advice.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am sorry..I put "I think..." because I am not sure, it just my thought. Thank you for your advice.

That's fine. You can continue to post your opinions and it's always good to say "I think" if you are not sure, but you must still state in each post that you are not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think..

Ems has already explained why this is wrong. But you can use 'since' if you use the past continuous: 'I have been working in the electrical department since 3 October.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.