Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. What does "solid base" mean here? A base without holes or spaces? And in relation to the whole sentence, is the writer describing some with four legs, a solid base, or wheels separately or as one thing?

2.Why isn't it "securely" instead of "secure"? Does it mean "hold the paper and, as a result, make it secure"?

gu47)Professional artists tend to identify this as one of the most important pieces of equipment in their studio. Most versions of this come in the form of a tripod, with three legs supporting the work surface. However, there are different styles of this as well, including some with four legs, a solid base, or wheels on the bottom of the legs for easy movement. Its purpose is to hold a piece of drawing paper secure and at an appropriate angle while you work on it...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. What does "solid base" mean here? A base without holes or spaces? And in relation to the whole sentence, is the writer describing some with four legs, a solid base, or wheels separately or as one thing? Separately.

2.Why isn't it "securely" instead of "secure"? It would work with "securely" too. Does it mean "hold the paper and, as a result, make it secure"? Yes.

gu47)Professional artists tend to identify this as one of the most important pieces of equipment in their studio. Most versions of this come in the form of a tripod, with three legs supporting the work surface. However, there are different styles of this as well, including some with four legs, a solid base, or wheels on the bottom of the legs for easy movement. Its purpose is to hold a piece of drawing paper secure and at an appropriate angle while you work on it...

Bhai.

Last edited by a moderator:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If "securely" can be also used, is this "secure" used as a result or an adverb here? I mean if it means the result was "secure" or "hold something securely"? If it works as an adverb, can a adjective also function as an adverb?

to hold a piece of drawing paper secure

driftwood

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If "securely" can be also used, is this "secure" used as a result or an adverb here? I mean if it means the result was "secure" or "hold something securely"? If it works as an adverb, can a adjective also function as an adverb?

to hold a piece of drawing paper secure

I think 'securely' is better because the sentence call for an adverb.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think 'securely' is better because the sentence call for an adverb.
No, it doesn't. If you hold something securely, you have a secure hold on it; despite this, it may move/be moved. If you hold something secure, your holding of it ensures that it is secure; it will not move..

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You mean like this?
1. He held me tight - He definitely held in a tight state - the result was tight.
2. He held me tightly - He was trying to hold me in a tight state, but it might or might not have failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.